This Sunday, the Roads and Transport Authority of Dubai (RTA) will temporarily close Al Shindagha Tunnel from Deira to Bur Dubai for a period of two months.
Concurrently with this closure, Infinity Bridge will open to traffic on Sunday, January 16.
This closure is necessary to complete the connection between the Infinity Bridge and the Al Shindagha Tunnel. The traffic will normally flow from Deira to Bur Dubai and vice-a-versa on Infinity Bridge, which can take 24,000 vehicles in both directions each hour.
A comprehensive plan has been developed by the RTA to ensure the smooth flow of traffic.The plan directs traffic at the Abu Bakr Al Siddique Street junction, the Deira Palm Islands slopes, the Omar Ibn Al Khattab junction, the Al Musalla junction, and the Corniche Street to the entrance of the Infinity Bridge toward Bur Dubai as follows::
- Traffic from Deira Islands heading to Bur Dubai via Al Shindagha Tunnel will head directly to the Infinity Bridge towards Bur Dubai and Jumeirah via the new flyover on Corniche Street.
- Traffic from Al Mamzar will continue on Al Khaleej Street, pass through Abu Bakr Al Siddique junction and head to Infinity Bridge towards Bur Dubai and Jumeirah via the new flyover on the Corniche Street.
- The traffic from Al Musalla junction could head to Omar Bin Al Khattab junction, then turn left towards the Infinity Bridge, or continue straight on Al Musalla Street and then onto the Corniche Street toward the Infinity Bridge from the JN13 surface intersection.
- The Infinity Bridge and Corniche Street will be accessible through the surface road beneath the new flyover on Corniche Street from the Metro Station and Bus Station at Deira Islands.
- Traffic from Abu Bakr Al Siddique Street will turn left through Al Khaleej Street junction and head to the Infinity Bridge towards Bur Dubai and Jumeirah via the new flyover on Corniche Street.
- Traffic will continue to flow from the Omar Bin Al Khattab junction through Corniche Street towards the new flyover, and then towards Bur Dubai and Jumeirah.
In the regular course of traffic through Al Shindagha Tunnel, drivers will normally travel from Bur Dubai to Deira. RTA reminds motorists to obey speed limits and directional signs to ensure their safety.